Monday 3 January 2011

TASK 1- Who am I- Who are they?

Based on the principles that have been introduced so far in the Enterprise module,
investigate who you are as a creative in relation to who is out there looking for creative
talent.


Client groups:

  • Music
  • Journalism- Magazines etc
  • Food
  • Retail
  • Restaurants
  • Cinema
  • Education
It appears that almost every sector is a possible candidate as most need to promote or inform or have some aim with their business, just some take more pride in it and appreciate the importance of graphic design.

 What skills do you have:

Layout- learning In- Design, working with grids, the hierachy or objects on a page and also working with type
Type-hierachal importance of tect, point size and relevant typefaces for relevant publications and context, soon to carry out a type module
Photography- learning how to document work in order to portray it to it's best ability. Lighting and focus etc.
Print- through the print module I developed many technquies, screen printing, foil blocking, embossing. Learning the importance of preparing your work for print.
Idea generation

What skills do you need to develop:

Software skills: 
I know that I need to improve my software skills within Adobe especially the likes of Illustrator to enhance my knowledge and ability to create work. This will be done through workshops we attend and also through my own investigation and trial and testing with software to feel more confident with it.

Typography skills:
We have been introduced to the fundamental principles of typography within wokrshops and I found it amazing and found that it makes such a difference to your work, within the type module after Chistmas, I look forward to enhancing my knowledge a lot further and putting these to use within my work.

Idea generation:
I think this is something that can always be improved upon by simply putting down as many as possible ideas you cna think of just pushing ideas, going off ona tangent and reeling them back in, this can be done through all of my work.


Photography skills:

Working for some kind of high end magazine I would love the ability to be able to know what photos need to look like and how I can produce them. This skill would always come in handy for any kind of brochure or promotional work.

What are your professional/creative aims and how do they relate to the needs of the client group?

Currently I find myself more interested in magazine layout and can see myself creating this kind of work. My aims are to fill myself with knowledge and be able to create high end, quality layout work for companies which take pride in work like this.
I aim to gain a range of experience to build up confidence and an ability to create indivdual, quality work.
As the design industry is a competive industry, I also aim to not limit myslef to one area or one skill as I need to be diverse. 

Relating the four P's to my own practice:

Product:
Graphic Designer, type, layout, printing, packaging

Place:
Cuurently based in Leeds, originally from Newcastle, Northern England. Open to the prospect of a working anyway where a good opportunity would take me, nationally, internationally.


Promotion: Currently my work and everything I look at for inspiration is set up on a blog, I will set up a personal website, produce business cards and create an identity/brand for myself to self promote. Networking and gaining contacts will be key to promoting meself as a designer.

Price: Price is something I need some help with, whether it would be an hourly rate, commisin, price of setting up a personal business etc. Need to have a think.

I've been looking at a company called City on Fire and in particularly the magazine layouts they have created:






No comments:

Post a Comment